About a month ago we posted a simple AWS Cost Cheat Sheet in PDF format and we got a lot of feedback that people found it very useful. In fact it was downloaded over 30,000 times!
We listened to that feedback, and today we are thrilled to launch an interactive and updated version of the Cheat Sheet. Check it out!
Here’s what’s new:
- Web based: It’s now a web app, so you can bookmark it, play with it, and we can keep the information up to date. The PDF we previously did was out of date as soon as AWS changed their pricing, which they do regularly.
- Region Selection and Comparison: You can select any region and see the price table change. There’s also a comparison table that shows you the percentage difference between each region.
- Currency Conversion: Select between US $, £ pounds sterling and € euro. We’ll add more as we hear what people want to see.
- Select Time Period: Costs are normally shown in hours, leaving you to figure out how many hours in a day (easy), a month (less easy – how many days do you take? How many do Amazon?!) or a year. Select the time period and we’ll show you the cost for that region, in the currency you wise, for the time you want the server.
- Spot Instance Price and History: Easily see the Spot Price right now, in the region you wish, and also see in that context of historic (since May 2012) average, high and low price.
- Reserved Instances: See the hourly reserved cost, compared to on-demand or spot, and select what type to view (1 or 3 year, light, medium or high) and decide if you’d like to amortize the upfront cost of the life of the instance, reflected in it’s hourly cost.
- Windows or Linux: View costs based on which platform you’d prefer. (We’ll add RDS if there’s demand for it – let me know in the comments)
- Compare Reserved Instances: See the payback time, and the difference in reserved instance types and regions to help you make better purchasing decisions.
The spot price is updated every few minutes, and of course we update the service pricing every time AWS do. If you wish, you can enter your email address and we’ll notify you whenever there is a major price change.
We really wanted to make this a simple place to go to price check the Cloud. Please let us know at email@example.com or in the comments if there’s anything you’d like to see added to make this more useful.